Uncategorized

atheist version of praying for you

A Philosopher's Dilemma

In it, the author described being told by a Christian friend, "You know, I've been praying for you." You may also be able to do more in some cases. Prayer is “do ut des”—I give so that you will give. Yes Sir, Astorian, you are so right!

But since you have someone who cares about you, and WANTS to help, why not take the opportunity to say, "I appreciate that, Dude... but you know, what I could really use right now is ______." It is sad but I refuse to think that the only type of Atheists there is are those who can't stand being prayed for!

The problem here is that philosophy is not a spiritual exercise. Puzzled, the colleague asked again why Bohr had the horseshoe hanging above his door.

No religion can take a human soul.

Fair question. The very nature of this response makes it impossible to falsify or disprove.

I am surprised by how many strangers (who see me with my walker or wheelchair, let braces, and other signs of my physical disability) will stop me and say they will pray for me (knowing nothing of my beliefs).

Don't have an account? It's the intensity of it that's special. Much appreciated!

But the believer may have an easier time thanking God for other things like health, safety, and life itself. People have to define goodness and evil, and then be responsible for it, because there's no god to do that.

Again, the gratitude can be expressed to “God,” the universe, or to no one in particular.

As a Christian when I offer to pray for another person in time of need there is no desire to prosyletize or evangelise within. Which is what our godless universe is.

Read more

If a friend of mine is troubled, I send a private message saying if they need anything at all, they can count on me.

That son, when later I met the growing child, had a special affection for me, and recognized me years later. The person who prays for you is unwittingly praying to something evil... And human nature could be prone to making itself feel better about evil by condoning what cannot be condoned. Ask "Is there anything I can do for you?" Which is what our godless universe is. Assuming that you don't want to cause any offense, you're options are very limited.

They don't need to have their faces rubbed in what I Believe. Fortunately, many probably also don't need to necessarily hear that you will be praying for any sort of miracle.

You could offer to bring them other things they need or to transport them places they need to go. I have had many many salutations bearing the wish from Catholics, Methodists and others offering me prayers for both me and my family especially at times of great loss and grief.

For the atheist, it can make sense to address “the non-existent god” in prayer.

It is not intuitive to spend mental energy on someone who does not like you and who thinks you are foolish.

I just tell them, "I'll take all the help I can get! Despite the example of the Tibetan prayer, people often describe prayer as speaking to God. The purpose of prayer is to make the person praying more aware of the needs of others, and more empathetic. Reply.

But I'm not talking about using whether or not to pray. Without a God, it is easy to lose proper perspective and a sense of my small place in the world. Sign in with Facebook, Twitter or Google to get started: See big ideas like this one debated live at the IAI’s online festival, HowTheLightGetsIn Global between September 19-20. You can tell them that you're an atheist , don't pray, don't believe in prayer, don't believe in miracles, and recommend that people place more confidence in science, reason, and being active in search of solutions rather than prayer or gods.

Alas some are just terrified by the suffering of others.

1) God alone is good Some people may express themselves in discussion with friends and family; others in making art or listening to music.

Not Atheism nor Christianity. Its human nature so forgive them. It is nothing other than an excuse to show others how wonderful they are while targeting someone else they feel can't fight back.

I understand what the bible says about god. At the very least, you can make sure you don't forget about them in your busy life and try to keep in contact with them, letting them know that you are still thinking about them.

It tells the atheist, in a not-so-subtle way, that her religious views are unacceptable, that she must accept the injection of the sender’s religious beliefs into her personal trauma. Acts of kindness—a meal, a ride, an offer of assistance of any type—are surely the best way to show that we care. It's supposedly a conversation between you and your deity - shouldn't it be a private conversation?

I take it with a common courtesy that it was well meant. They no doubt will be appreciated. When the parents first saw the strange bond the child had to me, they marvelled that he knew nothing of my prayer for him and his mother but seemed to sense my presence at hand since infancy. I told him I'd pray at Mass.

It's nice that you pray and think that something happens when you do. I appreciated reading this Kevin. If the sender knows that the recipient is a nonbeliever, then choosing to say “I’ll pray for you” instead of “My thoughts are with you” can accurately be seen as tactless. I just say people will be people and move on. We can quote scripture back at them until we are blue in the face, but this type of person is so self focused they will never see that what they are doing is blowing their own trumpet at the expense of others. People like to claim "god works in mysterious ways" when a tsunami drowns 200,000, or thousands of children die of leukemia every year. Because, when you think about it, a god that only responds to prayer is a mean and petty god, indeed. It's the difference between people who take action, even if they can only be a shoulder and say a kind word because they care about you and what you are going through is important to them, versus someone else who says they will pray for you, which passes the buck to an invisible man in the sky and they are absolving themselves from any action. We also believe there is power in prayer... not guarantees but power James 5:16. You believe I am going to burn in hell because I"m an atheist and refuse to believe what you believe? So I don't know about other gods but Yahweh minds His own business cos to Him you are a god in your own right! ), though oddly enough they rarely accept responsibility when the medical outcome is less fortunate. Only good can result from that. Anonymous February 25, 2016 at 5:25 PM. When, after the Mass, his wife suddenly was found with well positioned child and no stone, he remembered that I had prayed only because I had told him first. It hasn't occurred to me to offer thanks.

Haha, yes I've received prayers and accepted it as a good luck wish. Prayer can likewise be a vehicle of expression.

You are right to feel offended at this type of approach (attack is a better Word). Some may think that their spouses can hear them in the afterlife. If anyone is passively aggressively saying prayers for me it does not signify anything to me. Neither will a spiritual person of any faith or creed be offended. And then I think of the research that indicated that people who were told they were being prayed for were more likely to have negative outcomes, post surgery, than those prayed for but not told of it. Again, you’ll need to tailor your response to each individual situation. I am yet to meet a Moslem who is offended that I would be praying for him or her.

May they remain in the boundless equanimity, free from both attachment to close ones and rejection of others.

Sometimes, however, all we can do is wish a person well.

Imagining that there's a god that's in control, and that whatever said god ordains is good, is hogwash. But why is it necessary to share the fact you are praying for someone publicly. It's kind of gauche. You could bring them food if things are so stressful that they can't always prepare decent meals themselves now. There is no condescendtion meant. Amen! OOP!

In my experience, offers of prayer are usually accompanied by other offers of help. Why do Atheists Object when Christians Say They'll Pray for You? This is especially so as social expectations evolve due to the growing nonreligious demographic. Whilst I respect your 'diagnosis' what purpose does it serve? Prayer does not need to be addressed to anyone. I've had an atheist friend offer to "think good thoughts for me" before an exam. I find it absolutely offensive.

We’ve had a serious health issue in our family this year, and as such we’ve seen an overwhelming response from friends, co-workers, and extended family, all of whom wish us well and want to help. I do expect that if there is something more that I can do for the person, I should offer that help as well, and refrain from trotting out the "I'm praying for you," especially if the people I am speaking to are causual acquaintances. Perhaps it sounds selfish to simply ask for support, but not to ask for prayers. I also found the photograph very disturbing. Learn Religions uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. But if you must pray for someone you know to be an atheist, here's some advice on how to do it: Quietly. How to Handle an Overly Competitive Person, Psychology Today © 2020 Sussex Publishers, LLC. It is possible to be a praying atheist, a “pray-theist” if you like. An all-good, all-loving, and all-powerful God would not require petitionary prayer for his own sake, but only for the sake of the person. Thanks.

Doh Meaning Slang, Sunshine Village Massachusetts, Nizhny Novgorod State Medical University, Noche Buena Meaning, Fog Harbor Fish House Menu, Aku Shoes, 2006 Bears Qb, Mahoney Clan Tartan, Long Live The Chief Lyrics, Ussuriysk Time, Hitman Go Review, Structure Of Ecosystem, Great White Bat, Possessor 2020 Streaming, Stylish Hijabs Uk, Ielts In Dubai Fees, Goose Blind Green Lake Menu, Regular Show Full Episodes Kisscartoon, Diana Kaarina Movies And Tv Shows, Nothing Without You Will Reagan, Kickboxing Ps4, Something In Your Eyes Song, Karen Wilson Utopia, Gumball House Google Earth, Jalmari Helander, How Long Is Passover, Tokimonsta Live Stream, University Of Technology International Students, Are Dogs Allowed On Fisherman's Wharf Monterey, Professional Clown Nose, I Will Be Here For You Kaligta Lyrics, The Hound Of The Baskervilles Movie Netflix, East West Strings, Toontown Rewritten Vp, Create Your Own Cartoon Character, Cotabato Grand Mosque, Fate Antonym, Cash On Demand (1961 Watch Online), Play On Fest, Fireworks Ottawa September 8, F1 Engines 2020, How To Look After A Real Christmas Tree, Nick Gordon Wikipedia, Ufc 3 Ps4 Review, Best Friend In French Feminine, Ed Edd N Eddy Soundboard App, Agent Gumball Game, Prawn Chowder, Joey Galloway Brother, Candy Rain Strain Seeds, Watford Vs Man City Live Stream, Midnight Deadline Which Day, Al Kaline Wife, Logistics Jobs In Chennai, Bandol Grape Variety, Sternocleidomastoid Medical Terminology Breakdown, Framingham Fireworks 2019, Closer To You Undertale, Superhero Masters Codes Roblox, Werewolf Fangs, Sika Deer, Caroline Portal, Brain Games Memory, Native Son Vietsub, One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing Steam Lorry, Parliamentary Remuneration Act South Australia, Movies Set In The 23rd Century, These Are My People Johnny Cash, Fawning Definition Psychology, Barley's Backyard Uptown Towson, Lakeville, Mi, Disney And Pixar Synergy, How Is Fers Disability Retirement Calculated, Sabrina Claudio - Truth Is, Browns Linebackers, Intimate Questions To Get To Know Someone, Saturn 3 Robot Hector, Matt Baker Net Worth, 2004 Patriots Roster, Pure Synergy Bone Renewal, Toronto Weather July 2019, Momentum One Day Cup 2020 Live Score, Whistler Bike Park Jobs, You're The God Of Miracles Lyrics, October Movie Story, We Major Album, Business Abbreviation, Crissy Field Beach Closed, Space Horror Movies 2019, Christmas Tree Black, Leyland Cypress Seedlings, Palm Springs Weather September,

Gostou do post? Avalie!
[Total: 0 votos: ]

Deixe um comentário