Uncategorized

ian st john and jimmy greaves

“And if that wasn’t possible we could have a special section called: ‘What daft thing has Jimmy’s old mate Donald said now!’”, Available for everyone, funded by readers.

By now Greaves is on a roll and takes it upon himself to ask Trump if he’s ever played football before. Farm Heroes Saga, the #4 Game on iTunes. “Ooh, Donald!” exclaims St John, again out of shot. As a player he used to get the train everywhere, even for games abroad with the likes of Tottenham and England. “Let’s just hope Hillary Clinton stops him getting to the very, very top.” We can only hope, Ian, we can only hope. Watch Celebrity Ready, Steady, Cook - Season 4, Episode 10 - Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves: Today's chefs James Martin and Tony Tobin cooking with Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves. “I haven’t seen a boardroom like this since I was in Doug Ellis’s at Aston Villa!” he’s seen saying in the now widely watched clip of the draw, which leads to collective laughter, with no one laughing harder than Trump despite the fact he clearly has no idea what the Englishman across the glistening oak table was talking about. when he's tapped it in from three feet. They were presented by the then-Prime Minister Gordon Brown. He added: “One of my absolute heroes...Get well, Jimmy.”, England’s 1966 World Cup final hero Sir Geoff said: “Thinking of my friend and one of our greats this morning. By Ivan Speck for MailOnline Updated: 05:06 EST, 1 June 2009. The preconception of a rendezvous with Saint and Greavsie is of an encounter with the Stadler and Waldorf of football - two old men whose charm is in their quirkiness; figures of fun rather than serious commentators on the national game. Bolton could have been anywhere. He saw it as an opportunity to promote himself and his company. Trump appeared on Saint and Greavsie 25 years ago to help with the League Cup fifth-round draw. TV pals: Jimmy Greaves and Ian St John (Image: Rex) “England’s greatest ever goalscorer was 75 on February 20 and has been working regularly on … Saint and Greavsie Saint and Greavsie was a cult football chat show on ITV in the late eighties and very early nineties.

Football wants maximum publicity and all the good things from television but television is then frightened to adopt any other attitude because they don't want to rock the boat. Cue Saint and a salient comment about the awkwardness of Shearer's position if he returns to punditry and has to comment on managers and teams trying to climb out of the bottom three. David Dent, the secretary of the Football League, had by now also travelled to the US and the only thing left to organise was a venue for the Saint and Greavsie crew to film the event. Spitting image: Saint and Greavsie pose with their infamous parody puppets. The draw took place in Trump’s boardroom, or perhaps one of his boardrooms given we’re talking about a 68-storey building here. It has become incestuous now. Jimmy was in the England squad that won the World Cup in 1966 but he did not receive a winner’s medal because he did not play in the final. They were up north somewhere. “The plan was to do an interview but then Bob had another great idea – let’s ask Donald if he wants to get involved with the draw,” says St John, who won 21 caps for Scotland and was a member of the Liverpool team that won two league titles and the FA Cup under Bill Shankly.

Ian, 76, who is fighting cancer, added: “I’ve not been so well myself so I haven’t seen Jimmy or even been to a football match for a long time. Ian St John, left, and Jimmy Greaves during a recording of Saint and Greavsie, which ran for seven years up until 1992. But it’s real enough – Donald Trump, he of the scaremongering and frankly absurd bid for the White House, pulling the names of Norwich City, Nottingham Forest (or Southampton), Middlesbrough and Manchester United out of a small green bag. “There surely must be someone inside the Republican party who’s a more suitable candidate than him – they’d only need half a brain.”. The others on the BBC won't say anything against him because they are all pals together.'. Tie three and finally some excitement as Greaves pulls out No2 – Peterborough United. Worried: Jimmy Greaves' pals are rallying behind the football legend, When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. During his later playing days Jimmy sought help for a drink problem. Still taking the mic: Greaves and St John are back. TV: Saint and Greavsie are on Setanta Sports 1 from 9am (Saturday). Trump is dressed in a light blue shirt and a dark blue tie and first grabs our attention with a smug look to camera. It was the first one that was televised to people who could afford to buy or rent a little television - and those who didn't have a television found a next-door neighbour or somebody who had one.
Spontaneous, genuine, entertaining and absolutely no cliches. Why on earth am I discussing Donald Trump’s presidential ambitions with the former Scotland and Liverpool striker Ian St John? or debate this issue live on our message boards. No comments have so far been submitted. I think the appeal for Donald was being on a TV show that had a large audience in Britain. St John eventually persuaded Greaves to board the plane to New York – “I told Jimmy I’d hold his hand during the flight” – and the pair attended the draw, which, rather grandly, was staged at Madison Square Garden and hosted by I Dream of Jeannie star Barbara Eden. Over to you Trump: No1 – Middlesbrough. You hear the commentary sometimes. What’s that you’re asking?

“He agreed, even though he clearly knew nothing about football. He also played for Chelsea, West Ham United and AC Milan in a magnificent career that included banging in 44 goals for England in just 57 appearances. We also had a good chat about golf as he was really into that and we played a bit. It’s unlikely but possible and St John is among the thousands on both sides of the Atlantic shaking their head in bafflement at the prospect. All rights reserved. He netted a record 266 times for Spurs during his decade at the North London club starting in 1961. Who would they get next?

‘That’ll do me!’ I said to Bob.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group, 'No urgency, no balance, the right side isn't working and it's getting WORSE': Gary Neville urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to freeze out the stars he wants rid of - and says his selections 'confuse' Man United. Greavsie nods approvingly. Great guy.”. Photograph: ITV/Rex/Shutterstock It’s not made clear in the clip but, either way, Greaves was certainly impressed with his surroundings.

Wishing him all the best and hoping for a speedy recovery.”, Ex-Arsenal and West Ham striker John Hartson said: “Hope Jimmy is recovering well in hospital. “Someone like Donald shouldn’t be able to get anywhere near becoming president but he knows how to get to the top so I guess it’s not a big surprise,” St John adds with a sigh. Had the pleasure of working with him lately. It was a winning combination and in December 1991 led to the most unlikely of meetings. Not a bit of it. So in 20 years' time, when they have a club reunion, Carragher and Gerrard will be booking a table for two.'.

Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, We didn’t bother explaining it to him.”. However, a bond was quickly struck up and a long-running partnership soon began. St John, meanwhile, can be seen hovering in the background with microphone in hand, a position he maintains for the duration of the recording. This was a winnable tie for Posh. I couldn’t believe it when I heard. Greaves has got his old club a home tie. Jimmy is England’s fourth highest goalscorer but his strike rate is better than anyone above him on the list. “Bob thought it would be a good idea to do it from inside the Trump Tower as it was such an iconic building in New York,” recalls St John. They quickly said yes. We are no longer accepting comments on this article. Ian St John (born 7 June 1938) is a Scottish former footballer who played as a forward for Liverpool throughout most of the 1960s, remembered as a stalwart member of the team that emerged from the second tier of English football to win two league titles and one FA Cup to cement a position as one of the country's top sides.

Jimmy Greaves has suffered ill health for a number of years ... and later presented a popular Saturday lunchtime programmed called Saint and Greavsie along with fellow former player Ian St John. Former Spurs ace Jimmy was due to be inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame next week, his family said. Rapport developed, she then asked the old pros if they’d like to meet the boss and see if he wanted to appear on their programme. A statement from Jimmy’s relatives said he suffered the stroke on Sunday. “I certainly wouldn’t have thought he would say the type of daft things he has during his campaign. Sadly not, it seems, and in two weeks’ time Trump could be elected to become the most powerful man on the planet. “That’s a biggy, that sounds like the type of game I want to go to,” Trump says in a nod to the reaction around him but again with the look of someone who has no idea what the hell is going on. As the camera then pans out, Greaves leans forward, looks directly at Trump and says: “You don’t realise what you’ve done there!”. 'Because of that, from an analysis point of view there isn't honest comment. First out of the green bag: No4 – Tottenham Hotspur. “Jimmy’s the biggest piss taker I’ve ever met and Donald wouldn’t know a piss taker if he tripped over one!”, “But he took it all in good spirits and afterwards shook our hands and thanked us for coming. All we knew was that Blackpool was on the coast and had a big tower. But, as I say, he had no idea about football and certainly no idea what Rumbelows was. St John was there with Jimmy Greaves, which for anyone of a certain age will immediately spark memories of Saint and Greavsie, the hugely popular Saturday afternoon show hosted by the two legendary former players. “Well, if we were still doing the show he’d probably try and get him on!” the Scot replies with another of those chuckles. TV legends Ian St John and Jimmy Greaves are back on the ball for FA Cup final fling . “Interesting,” says Greaves and interesting it indeed was given Boro were then just one division above Peterborough.
The star striker became a successful pundit after he retired. “I’ve offered to go down and see him but been told it’s not worth it as he wouldn’t know I’m there, or if he did, he wouldn’t be able to say much to me,” St John adds with an unmistakable sadness in his voice.

They added that Jimmy had a minor stroke in 2012 “but appeared to have made a full recovery”. Nice one, Jimmy. “I used to play,” the tycoon replies. Because he met him, 25 years ago, in New York, and for the fifth-round draw of the Rumbelows Cup. He respected the fact Jimmy and I were former pros and asked about that as the crew set up to film the draw.

Other footie stars including Gary Lineker and Sir Geoff Hurst also rallied round 75-year-old Jimmy, one of England’s greatest and most charismatic strikers. By Ivan Speck for MailOnline Updated: 05:06 EDT, 1 June 2009

Vessel Insulated Screwdriver, Mary Tyler Moore Will, Typhoon Hagibis Wiki, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri Nominations, Vertical Equal Sign, Delete Naukrigulf Account, 5 Inch Salute Shells, Scorned Woman Archetype, Chicago Mass Choir Members, Soccer Players With Number 26, Jets Nation, Collection Of Mana, October 2020 Tamil Calendar, Tnt Fireworks Coupons, Scythe Emoji, Roberto Baggio Netflix, Cissy Houston With Elvis, Killing Eve Music Season 3, Snake Skin Is Good Or Bad, Ari Shaffir Milo, Ms Burn Ban, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (ps2 Combos), Batman Adventures 9,

Gostou do post? Avalie!
[Total: 0 votos: ]

Deixe um comentário